Filter by tags: United States Meralco Clear all tag filters
2 news articles found
The Philippines' largest electric distribution utility, the Manila Electric Company (Meralco), has signed a cooperation agreement with Ultra Safe Nuclear Corporation (USNC) of the USA to study the potential deployment of one or more Micro-Modular Reactor (MMR) Energy Systems in the Philippines.
- Source: World Nuclear News
- Date: Friday, 17 November 2023
- Original article: world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Philippines-considers-deploying-USNC-microreactors
Among countries the Philippines could turn to is South Korea, which has offered to revive the Bataan nuclear power station north of the capital Manila. Japan, China and France may also consider holding talks about the Bataan project.
The US and the Philippines said recently they would open talks on a deal for the Asian nation to build nuclear power plants with American technology.
“We are also open to other countries. We should not set aside, however, America’s experience. There are 450 nuclear power plants in the world, and almost 100 in the US”, Arcilla said, quoted by the Philippine News Agency.
The Philippines is also considering investing in small modular reactors. The Philippines’ largest electricity distributor said it is in talks with the US about possibly using SMRs.
- Source: Nucnet
- Date: Saturday, 24 December 2022
- Original article: nucnet.org/news/manila-willing-to-consider-nuclear-suppliers-other-than-us-12-5-2022